Should I rename the system?

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Edited Jun 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM
With the kind of news that ISIS is generating, I'm thinking that perhaps it would be wise to consider changing the name of the system. One idea is to rename it I2.

Another possibility is to somehow switch to a name associated with GridCloud, which is currently the biggest project using the system (GridCloud is a project we're doing to build a platform for the smart power grid -- it monitors the power grid at large scale in real-time and then host machine learning algorithms that would optimize the power grid configuration to deliver electricity in a more efficient, robust way).

So that could argue for a name like GC/FTlib: GridCloud Fault Tolerance library. This could be a more graceful way to change project names -- Isis2 would sort of freeze at some release level, and we could quietly shift to a new project under this new name. It would seemingly be part of a bigger open source project (GridCloud is using Isis2 to create a shareable file system, a distributed system management tool, a new rock-solid network stack layer, etc) but in fact would really still be the same system. Plus I wouldn't need to seem to be fleeing from the accidental association with a bunch of terrorists, even if of course that is precisely what we would be doing.

Any thoughts?
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM
More naming ideas: these would use virtual synchrony in the name

1) VSCloud
2) VSLib

... And here are two more that instead use "highly available"

3) HACloud
4) HALib
Coordinator
Jun 16, 2014 at 9:45 PM
More (better) name ideas. People should jump in. I need help!

is2 (or just i2)
n-ware
sharder
c-shard
shardlib
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2014 at 12:05 AM
Current leading option: I am leaning towards renaming the SITE i2.codeplex.com, but leaving the system itself unchanged, so that none of your code will need any modification. For those who ask I will describe the system as the i2 system, but we insiders will know that it is really Isis2. After all, Isis was there long before these brutal thugs emerged, and while I don't want to give talks in front of my funding agencies in which I would use "Isis" as the system name, I also don't want to make a massive change for a reason like this.

A good friend of mine, Steve Franks, says (more or less) that one way or the other, Isis will go away and sooner or later we will just refer to "the government of Iraq" and "the government of Syria", exactly as we did before they emerged. He's probably right. And he also points out that all those accidental searches for Isis will lead to massive numbers of downloads of the system, propelling it to totally unparalleled popularity....